Saturday, January 22, 2011

Session 1, My Thoughts

I think I'm going to like this class, because i'm going to learn exactly what core elements make a leader and develop my own leadership skills.
I've always been quite and shy as a kid, I've been trying to get out of that habit since I started high school, and i think, I've been get better at coming out of my shell when i meet new people.
Maybe this class will help me with that, but I think thats just how I am around people i don't know or comfortable around. It's really hard for me to have an idle conversation with people i don't know.
It's a little different when it comes to speaking in front of an audience. I've done it lots of times before and did good when I got use to it,
but after not doing it for a while I get nervous. So hopefully I'll get some improvement from these sessions.
I'm an artist, so naturally I'm more prone to physically doing stuff and not to talking so i think people with similar situations could benefit from session like Emerging leaders.
These sessions are suppose to teach what a leader is, but before that i think it's a good idea to write what characteristics I think every leader should have.
The following is not in any specific order of importance. Every leader should be able to talk to and speak in front of their audience because for someone to lead, them must be able to communicate.
Every leader should well educated in their selected fields, because if you don't know what you are talking about others will question if you are a good leader or not and
a leader without knowledge will let the people they are trying to lead down.
A good leader must have a good vocabulary, a leader does have to know every word in the dictionary, they should know enough so they can be able phrase certain thoughts in a way that wont unintentionally offend others.
A leader should also know how to deal with people, because there will always be people that will oppose you and want a lot from you.
Someone in a leadership position should just get use to it; everything comes with a price, a good leader should just always explain the reasoning behind their actions so other will hopefully understand.
Also a leader shouldn't try to please everyone if one party that a leader is serving wants one thing, but the other side wants another thing that counters acts the other side, a leader should know how to compromise settle digressions within the group.
So Steve told us to make a response to the 3 page article he gave us,
and i agree with with Richard Greenwald's argument. I don't know what else i can add, I don't think there is anything else to add.
But one thing that did happen before i read the article is that I told one of my friend
that i was in the emerging leaders program and she asked my if it was one of those
"self-help classes for shy people". One part of the article reminded me of when my friend asked me that,
it was when Greenwald mentioned leadership books and how they usually go under the self help category.
Also i don't think leaders are just simply born, people become leaders through life experiences.
The basic traits and ideals of a leader can be taught, but for someone to become a real leader
they would have to practice and got out and apply what they have knew and what they were taught to excel in their desired profession.
Knowing is always half the battle, weather you have text book knowledge or people skills and etc., a good combination of all types of
knowledge combined with different skills will make one's chances of success better.

1 comment:

  1. I really believe that there are many ways to be an effective leader. One does not have to always be the extrovert. I consider Emerging Leaders a think-tank and I look forward to see what the group develops in the process.

    ReplyDelete