Sunday, January 30, 2011

What Do They Know About Us...?

"Is It Just Us, Or Are Kids Getting Really Stupid?" Lets start off by renaming this article "Soccer Mom Makes Generalizations About Our Generation Based On One Conversation With Her Son..." When I was ready to take my fifteen minute break when I was at work, I strolled passed the magazine rack. I had noticed this article because my teacher last semester had mentioned it but I never had the opportunity to read it. I grabbed and had planned on enlightening myself. I feel like growing up all the old cats would rant that the kids are getting dumber but I never would I had thought one of them would be dumb enough to write an article about us and not have any legitimacy.

This women publicizes and airs out her son because they are watching a movie in their Advance Placement class. If you want to make a point about our generation then say we like obscene music say we like odd trends but this lady goes on a 9 paged (give or take) rant about us by using this conversation with her son as her jumping point. You have to be critical of who is writing this before you even begin to read the first word of this article... This is mother of a son who can't remember the days of the week...They don't teach that in high school...That's something you were supposed to teach him has u shuffled him out the door on his first day of elementary school...Then to throw the point out there that she says " You can ask anyone in Philadelphia, do kids seem dumber than they used to be...?" Well for one used to be means You miss all knowing author because before there was us there was you...Secondly you did you bother test anyone else other than your son on a calendar...?
To adress technology, at times it can be used inappropriately and in a way most would not prefer... like facespace and my book and and twimblr (LOL) but it is a new way and innovative way this generation stays connected. Information travels at phenomenal speeds thanks to the internet. If anything the internet has helped connect our world and it's brightest minds to make common knowledge more common. What one child doesn't know...Google can solve... reading has not disappeared from our lives it jus has become easier because a child can summarize a story at the click of a button. I feel like our generation is all about priority. If we see something as necessary we take action to do it. That critical thinking i feel like because then not only are we challenging autority but we are knocking down old walls set up by YOU OLD CATS AND BUILDING GATES TO NEW WAYS OF THINKING.
What the author seems to ignore is that all these things relate back to the Public school system and how it's not doing a good job educating basic knowledge in her community...In order for me to take this article serious I would like for her to sit down and talk to someone my age and ask me some questions about what we know...Not someone 4 times my age. What do they know about us...They just discovered I phones...

No comments:

Post a Comment