Sunday, February 6, 2011

30th Street Station



In and out of the bronze colored doors people walk, up and down the stairs people stomp, left and right I look. The 30th street station is one of the busiest and most populated areas in Philly. I decided that the train station would be a great place to just sit for an hour and observe all that it has. Choosing a spot to sit at wasn’t hard; I went to the general area where most people waited. Settling into a seat I looked immediately to my left and right noticing to my right an older woman reading a book and to the left a younger gentleman staring into his Kindle. Both individuals were different in age, race, and gender yet found a common ground to rest on. Regardless of the physical differences, they both enjoyed reading, which united them by common interest.

As I looked around the main lobby I saw different people of different ethnicities, but everyone operated the same way. It was as if there was an invisible pathway to guide everyone in ever which way direction. Everyone pulled their luggage, ran to catch a train and greeted their friends/family the same way. There was no visible uncertainty with anyone; they knew where they had to go and what they had to do.

I was brought up to know that the only differences between people are the personal opinions. When I was sitting in the main lobby I saw people just trying to get to where they are going on time. In this case, everyone has assimilated into the busy scene the train station is known for. The idea of intercultural communication was almost non-existent, I saw everyone as an individual from the same society that is always on the move.

Culture is the very essence of what and who we are; it is our history and our present. Culture is the different religions, races, and ideas that blend together to make a new world. America is the core of what culture truly is. We are a country that stands with open arms to those in need of a home. It’s the mix of languages that come together as one universal language. Culture is the hardest thing to describe and yet we are present within it every single day.

- Ashlee Espinal

No comments:

Post a Comment