Monday, February 7, 2011

Leaders of the Future

I completely agree with this article. Leadership programs’ can be an extremely useful tool. These programs will provide students with skills to develop their creative careers. I believe that “Emerging Leaders” will prepare me for the “real world” by teaching me the importance of organization, hard work, and achievable career planning. I’ve seen firsthand the results of success attributed to leadership programs such as this one. Since 2003, I have been mentored and tutored by Valencia Community College and Rollins College alumni Kaye Haynes, and Sunni Prevatt. Sunni functions as Valencia’s Activities Coordinator and Kay is her staff assistant. Although I was still in middle school when they became my leaders, Sunni and Kaye both provided me with useful information about college, showed me how to introduce myself as a professional student, and helped me figure out exactly what I wanted to do for a professional career. Because of them, college was a very smooth transition. I’m glad I have them as an example of what a leader is suppose to do.
There should be more programs that teach students how to be effective leaders. In my opinion, confidence isn’t something people are born with, but something that has to be taught and cultivated. Leadership programs should be taken seriously because it will help students form productive opinions about themselves and the world around them. It will help students understand essential concepts that govern our modern civilization. Students are the future. If students aren’t taught how to be leaders then who will lead?
Leaders come in many different forms. They may not be the charismatic politicians, who are geniuses a wowing a crowd, but they are “real people,” who can assist someone who is need of help. I’m so excited to be apart of “Emerging Leaders.” I know it will mold me into the leader I want to become. I want to be a leader that’s professional and personable, a leader that’s an excellent listener, and lastly a leader who can make everyone feel comfortable and put a smile their face. My motto is “Professional and Happy-Go-Lucky.” I want to be the brightest light on my community as I possibly can. I believe that it’s Gods precious gift when you find that something you truly love to do. I’m glad a program such as “Emerging Leaders” exists to give me the tools I’ll need to go out in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment