Monday, February 7, 2011

Underground Ignorance

I didn't per se sit in one spot and spend an hour observing people but I did keep my eye open and observe the people I past and interacted with a lot more this whole week. Sunday night was the Super bowl and I went to Fox Chase outside of Philly to a family friends house to watch it with her and my boyfriend. We had to take the train home late about midnight and we arrived at Suburban Station. I have yet to really take the trains or subways in Philadelphia so far and it was me and my boyfriend along with my family friends brother in law who has been living in Philly for years. He took us the underground way home through the subway and the station.
I was slightly scared and shocked at what I saw walking through the station. There were rows of homeless people lined up with various blankets and cardboard just sleeping on the subway floors. There were also other random people either involved in illegal paraphernalia or just hanging out where they shouldn't.
This was quite a different site for me as we walked the 5 to 8 blocks back home that night. Coming from a suburb where there are generally little to no people living on the streets and if they do they are not seen often, this sight was alarming. In philadelphia it is impossible to not notice the homeless situation but you are forced to go about your daily life and not think about it, however walking through this underground world was very different.
I found it interesting that although all these people probably did not know each other they all lined up near one another to sleep instead of going off by themselves somewhere. In the cold winter it was extremely saddening to think these people have to live like this.
We walked quickly but every turn there was another person and I tried to not seem scared or nervous but in my mind I knew it was not something I would of ever done alone.
What also surprised me was my friends brother in law and how comfortable and "matter of faculty" he walked through the subway. He had no qualms about taking us underground instead of above ground through the city. He kept talking about various things about Philly and college. It seemed to have no effect on him since he was raised in the Philadelphia area. It was ironic to me that he was discussing college and work so easily surrounded by a world who had hit rock bottom. All I could do was walk past ignoring the plight of these groups nestled together in the dank cold underground because social norm teaches us to ignore these situations.
Culture is not just race, ethnicity, and background. It's also up-bringing, and the worlds we don't see on an everyday basis. This underground world lives through-out our society un-noticed when we are all comfy and warm inside our beds. My question is, How could anyone help? If their trained to have a blind eye towards it.

4 comments:

  1. Ali, interesting observation about the homeless community in Philadelphia. I have to say I am one of those individuals who ignores the homeless people on the streets and underground. Why do you think people like you and I ignore them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dig what your saying, i feel like plenty of people do this not only with the unfortunate situation of the homeless but with things like natural disasters in other countries, states, and areas. We see bad news and turn our heads because it doesn't apply to us before we think how to help. Whens the last time we talked about Haiti...and thought of ways to help instead of just feeling worried for a month that it was on the news then not caring again because its no a major concern on your behalf. this blind sight doesn't make you a terrible person because its what most people have grew up to know. What if instead of not caring about the issues that aren't always central to us, we actually helped a homeless guy here or there. When I was young I witnessed an act of kindness by a man on the streets of center city baltimore. He walked pass a homeless man sleeping against the McDonalds and stopped. He gave the homeless man his jean jacket. laid it on him and walked away. That type of humility is rare these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's actually incredible that for one semester, I've been part of a program geared towards aiding those in this kind of predicament, and this is perhaps the first time I have had this kind of contact with those in dire need of help. It's twisted to realize that on a mini-vacation this is how I'm exposed to those I'm meant to serve. Very intriguing analysis, Ali!

    Meesh, I think I can throw my two cents in to answer that question, although Ali should share her own view. My philosophy is that we, the people who have been thrust into a higher status in society by mere chance, have been brainwashed into believing that those less fortunate than you or I are hostile and dangerous, and should be regarded as such. We have this perception that since we are better off, these people living on the streets want nothing more than to rob us blind, so we don't initiate any contact, and keep our eyes focused in front of us. If we break this conception, only then can we lead the coalition against homelessness, and give them the help they truly need.

    ReplyDelete