Saturday, February 19, 2011

Just Keep Speaking

Throughout school I have always had a problem with participating in class. I would often get teacher comments saying that I was insightful and could add more to class discussions. Although all of my teachers pointed this out to me, like Arlen, I didn’t feel like my voice made that much of a difference. If a teacher called on me, I would always have something to say but I never wanted to raise me hand to voice my opinions.

By the end of my freshman year in high school and seeing all of the leadership opportunities available, I wanted to get involved. I applied to be sophomore class co-president. I had to prepare a speech. I was confident in my writing abilities so I wasn’t worried about coming up with what I wanted to say; it was just the speaking part that made me nervous. I practiced my speech in front of the mirror and in front of my mom before I gave the speech to my class. Finally, on election day, I was shaking and I it felt like my heart was going to pound right out of my chest. I made a few jokes throughout my speech and when the entire room erupted into laughter I realized how I had the ability to get the reaction I wanted from people. I felt more comfortable and was proud of myself after conquering my fear of public speaking. I won the election and have been practicing public speaking ever since.

I soon began to think of public speaking as a performance. As a dancer I know how to prepare for a performance so I thought about how I could apply those same skills to public speaking. For dance I have to practice a lot to feel comfortable showing what I know, so in public speaking I know I need to practice my speech so I can feel prepared to speak. If I have notes prepared for class, I know I’ll have something to contribute to the conversation. Being prepared really helped me get over some of my anxiety.

In Paul Martin Lester’s article “Learning to Live With Public Speaking Anxiety” he had some tips for instructors, which I found interesting. As a student with public speaking anxiety I don’t always feel like I have resources or ways to express myself. I get worried that my participation grade in class will suffer because I’m not participating enough. I thought it was interesting how Lester put some responsibility in the instructor’s hands. It definitely helps when teachers ask to bring something to class. It gives me time to think over what I would like to share and I don’t feel put on the spot.

Time management is a great tool to ease public speaking anxiety. Preparedness and knowing exactly what you’re saying is half the battle of public speaking. Setting aside time to read a speech aloud or to prepare some notes before class can really help quell some anxiety. Also an understanding of culture can help with public speaking. In high school I understood “Dana Hall” culture so I was able to appeal to my classmates. Understanding culture is a great way to figure out what’s important to certain individuals and the ability to verbalize an appreciation for culture keeps people interested. I’m super nervous about the three minute intro assignment but I’m excited because it is yet another opportunity to improve my public speaking skills.


-Arielle

1 comment:

  1. Arielle, I enjoyed reading your post. I especially like your comment about understanding the culture of your audience. Having the ability to connect to them can definitely put the speaker at ease. Unfortunately, not everyone spends the time to understand the various cultures around them.

    ReplyDelete