Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Charisma

Public speaking is something that is a beautiful skill to have. It can bring out the best in people once they become comfortable with it. Public speaking is something that requires a lot of things but most of all Charisma is the key to it all. To have the confidence in yourself and the courage to engage an audience is what it is all about. I've been speaking aloud since I was in elementary school so as I matured it was something that stuck with me I suppose but I can say that in social situations I have never been the conversation starter.
When I was a freshman in high school I was never very charismatic. I was this 5'7 kid with braids who just stepped out of a middle school. I was not very confident in my look and I knew I would face the same people that I didn't care for too much back in middle school plus the new kids from the other middle school. So I was shy to say the least. I would sit off to the side in the class room and not say much. At lunch I sat with people that I didn't know too well...I had friends don't get me wrong I just wasn't very outgoing and outspoken as I am now. Through out 9th grade as I met more people I started to develop myself and my social life. Instead of following the group I began to understand how to lead the pack and speak up.
As 10th grade began I changed my image and even developed a new taste for clothes I used to see as wack. I cut off my long hair and became a more mature me and continued to grow and meet people. I even had the courage to join the school choir and sing and perform in front of people. I even would dance a little as we praised god. I also began to befriend older students that used to intimidate me. It was like I discovered the secret to an active social life. One that I controlled. I didn't notice at the time but I was developing Confidence in myself. You be able to believe in yourself if you want others to believe what you say or what you want them to believe.
When I was in 11th grade I was like Kanye West you couldn't tell me nothing. I mean I knew what I was gonna do when I was gonna do it and nothing was gonna stop me. I joined the track team to prove my friends wrong and I did it and stuck with it and fell in love with the sport. What I have accomplished through track is courage and yea relentless ambition but thats not relevant to this ha ha. But to accomplish any thing you have to have the courage to stand for what you believe in and public speaking you have to have the courage to stand there and speak on behalf of yourself because thats who you are defending.
I sorta evolved into myself as many of us do as we advance through stages of life. My senior year I had become comfortable address anyone I wanted to. I was no longer burden by what others thought of me or afraid to be the leader. I recognized myself as someone who is capable of doing what ever he wants if he applies himself and thats the type of attitude I carry in anything I do and I think that Defines Charisma. If you can't see yourself doing something then more than likely its not accomplishable for you. Until you release your mental constraints that hold you back from doing great things you won't achieve them. A bird can't fly with clipped wings, just like a person can't publicly speak with out Charisma.

No comments:

Post a Comment