Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Micheal'O Bryan


I wasn't sure who I wanted to do an interview with, but after listening to this Uarts graduate speak at the African Diaspora meeting (At Uarts), I knew it would be him. I was overjoyed when he agreed to meet me at the Cosi coffee shop on 12th and walnut. He's going to make a huge difference on the Philadelphia community and I'm so glad that I met him and now call him friend. His name is Micheal O' Bryan. Micheal holds many job titles. He is the Music Department Coordinator at Freedom Theater in Philadelphia, where he created the infrastructure of the Department and created the curriculum. He is the Youth Service Coordinator at The Red Shield Family Residence of the Salvation Army. He also does many community outreach projects in Philadelphia. As I walked in Cosi, I gathered all of my questions I wanted to ask. He was already having a conversation with another Uarts graduate about the role of the artist in the context of community. I was amazed at the ideas he touched on. Prior to our interview, he took the time to explain why he decided to make an impact on the Philadelphia community. He shared with me information about how a lot of kids in Philadelphia are struggling to become productive human beings. Studies showed the percentage of children living in poverty in Philadelphia, is 30.3% in a population of more than 365,000 children under age 18 in 148,888 families. According to U.S. Census data released in September, more than 29 percent of residents in Philadelphia's 1st Congressional District (which is just a few miles from the historic Liberty Bell) live in poverty. Overall, census data found Philadelphia to be the poorest among the country's 10 largest cities, and the 1st district one of the hungriest, second only to the Bronx, New York. This information shook me up and my first question was "How are you going to help fix this mess?" This was the beginning of my interview.

Arik- How are you going to help fix this mess?
Micheal-Well my goal is to expand our current involvement with the Philadelphia community while promoting Positive Youth Development through the arts.
Arik- I've heard you talk about how art is important. Can you explain why?
Micheal-Art introduces the brain to diverse cognitive skills that help us unravel intricate problems. Art, in thought and through the creative processes, activates the imaginative and creative side, the spatial and intuitive side of our brain. Art jumps over the process of linear and logical thinking. It trains the brain to shift into thinking differently, of broaching old problems in new ways. This is what makes art so important.
Arik-You are a former graduate of Uarts, and I wanted to know how Uarts led you to become a leader?
Micheal- Uarts opened me up to experience the world in different ways. I grew up poor and that already gave me a unique frame of reference for the role of education. Uarts then expanded my perspective even more and opened me up to many unimagined possibilities. Also, I don't consider myself a leader.
Arik- Why not?
Micheal-I don't consider myself a leader because I'm uncomfortable with the term. It's a lot of responsibility. Leaders have people following them and if the leader messes up then everyone behind the leader is messed as well. I prefer the term Humanitarian Artist.
Arik-That's a more interesting title anyway. What do you like most about your job as a Humanitarian Artist?
Micheal-I am an artist. It's who I am. I like being myself. I enjoy expressing myself creatively everyday. I like helping people and engaging other people as well. I don't like to consider it a job, it's me.
Arik-What future changes do you see in this field?
Micheal-I see the ability for the artist to entirely redefine their role in the context of community. That doesn't mean every artist is doing community outreach like me, but that they are aware of the power they wield of their chosen art form to stimulate conversation on a variety of social issues.
Arik-Well thank you Micheal. I appreciate you taking the time with me.
Micheal- No problem good brother and I want to share a quote with you that describes what I feel a leader is. It's by Stephen Covey, the author of the book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Thinking. He states that "leadership is communicating to people their worth and potential so clearly that they are inspired to see it in themselves."
Arik-Wow. Again thank you for your time and that's a perfect example of what a leader is.

After the interview ended and as I exited the Cosi, I thought about what he said and I really began to think about my role in my community. I realized that I want to make an impact on gay youth in this country. Micheal O'Bryan is a leader. Although he wouldn't classify himself as one. He's fighting for the underprivileged children in the Philadelphia area. A lot of these children are growing up in rough situations and need someone to reach out there hand and help them. Micheal is determined be that hand, and if it was possible, he would gladly grow another one.

1 comment:

  1. Arik, thank for interviewing Michael O'Bryan. He has definitely taken his passions of the arts, education, and children to start something exciting in this community. He has a drive that is very contagious.

    ReplyDelete