Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Student Leadership

I recently held an interview with the Pine hall GRC, Laura Beyer. She was kind enough to find time in her busy schedule to discuss with me her duties, how her position affects the UARTs community, how the position has affected her as a leader, as well as other various questions.
 
 
Q: What are some of the duties of a UARTs GRC?
 
A: Well, I'm actually pretty busy. My duties consist of a lot of responsibilities. I mean, I'm kind of the go to for the residential assistance staff. So, if they have issues or concerns, I'm the person they'd answer to. Usually with critical crisis situations, things that can get out of hand. Like, psychological breakdowns, violent arguments, things like that. I also am looked to for insight of residential life, those above me need to be able to rely on me to relay to them how the dorm is operating. I manage, or help manage, community events. So I help create them in conjunction with the RA staff. I also have a lot of meeting and communication duties with the college community. For instance, I have bi-weekly meetings with each individual RA, just as a check up on their work and to address any problems her or she may be having. I work with the RAs to try and find ways to help may their efforts more effective. Then there are my GRC meetings, which are between the GRCs of each dorm. There we discuss methods of improving residential life and reiterate various codes of conduct in our guidelines and the like. There are also meetings between myself and my supervisor, in which I essentially report the dorm status. To top it off, I also advertise certain hours in which I am free to talk to residents about any issues they may have one on one. I don't generally get these meetings often, but it's still part of the job.
 
Q: So, do you get much free time to yourself?
 
A: Yeah, not really. My free time is pretty much devoted to school work. Unlike the RA position where you have multiple employees under one roof and the ability to interchange shifts, I am the only GRC in a dorm, so my duties can't be loaned out ya know?
 
Q: How do you feel the GRC position has altered your character?
 
A: I feel pretty lucky to have this job actually. First off, I had never held a position quite like this before, I started this job in December of 2010, midway through the year. But I've learned a lot through the job, time management is defiantly one of the main things I've gotten from it. It's a skill I know I'll use in the future. I would also say it has also be a great reward, because as a GRC I'm a mentor to residents and RAs. I've got some great, very strong relationships here. Plus, with the position, I mentor and interact with a lot of different majors. So I find I actually am exposed to more forms of art than I would have if I were otherwise unoccupied and hunkered into my studio. Um, also a I've gained a certain amount of self awareness. As a GRC, or leader in general, it's important to know your strengths and weaknesses. In the job, I've had to become aware of this in order to be a more efficient leader.
 
Q: So, what kind of changes, changes that can made under your jurisdiction, would you like made?
 
A: Well, I think for the most part the residential department runs pretty smoothly. I would like to see more residential community. I think the way to see this change would be to organize and hold more events that appeal to the residents. I think that these event plannings could even use a separate event staff, because the RAs and myself can only do so much. I'd also like to see these events go beyond the confines of the dorm, I'd like to see more vents that engage residents with Philly.
 
Q: Do you see the changes or effects you've made so far in the community?
 
A: Yes. I think so. I feel like my relationships with the RAs and residential staff as a whole have helped promote results. I'd say I give encouragement to the RAs, and as a result their work is more successful. I feel I give good work vibes if that makes sense.
 
Q: Since we are at an art school, do you feel this leadership position has in any way affected your art?
 
A: In a few ways, yes. I suppose first off, it helps me financially, which in turn gives me the ability to even produce my art in the first place. I'm also in very close proximity to the university, so the location is convenient for my work. More importantly though, the position helps me stay connected to the school. It's faculty and students. Also, this is just me personally, but the job keeps me busy and it kind of feeds my drive. Which is helpful, because without my drive I wouldn't operate the way I need to.
 
Q: Okay, and for my last question, what are your plans after college?
 
A: In the short term, I would like to start a literary art journal. A kind of creative publication magazine. I already have two publications out, and I'd like to do more. While also on the side creating art and contributing them to art galleries. In the long run, I would like to own a shop where I can write and sell my publications as well as art. It'd also be nice for it to be a place for other artists to come and display their work.
 
 
After my thanks and farewells, I took in some of the ideas Laura talked about. I was especially piqued to the apparent need to be self aware of your
abilities and flaws. Being able to use your abilities in your field as best as possible, while also knowing where your weaknesses are and how to avoid letting them get the best of you. Laura also had a short and long term goal already set in her head, which struck me because I used the same terminology to map out my college career in my meeting with Julie Woodard. After the meeting, I came away knowing that leadership takes an immense amount of management, patients, and work ethic in order to be good at what you're hired to do. Without these qualities, in a position like Laura's, one would crumble under the tasks of a GRC.
 
-Arlen

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this interview with Laura and learning more about how she sees her experience as a GRC--a graduate student leadership position that definitely carries big responsibilities. Laura talks about the hard work, but she also reflects on how leadership "fuels her drive" as a artist, which I thought was a great point. Leaders need to learn how (and how much) to push themselves without burning out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura has been able to juggle thae various aspects of her life and be an effective leader. Getting hired as a GRC midway through the year last year seemed to call her to act quickly on her feet and soak in her surroundings. She definitely was able to succeed in this position with a very cool and level head.

    Living with the students, she has created opportunities for a positive community to take place, and it seems she has encouraged those around her to continue the cause.

    ReplyDelete